Sunday, May 12, 2013

Soy Glazed Baked Salmon

I'm a less than confident fish cooker. I fear accidentally serving sushi to my family. I don't always know what flavors really goes with what and I am afraid of the bones. There, I own all of it. But I'm getting better and I'm trying new things. Phew - that weight off my chest is freeing. Anyway, our Whole Foods had a sale and I'm excited about bargain food! I didn't know what I was going to do with these salmon filets, but I knew I needed them. Digging around the Internets I found this Martha Stewart recipe and decided to try it. We all really liked it and it will be in our regular rotation. 


Soy Glazed Salmon - Recipe from Martha Stewart
Preheat oven to 400
Serves 2


2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
juice from one lemon - about 2 tablespoons
1 tablespoon white wine (or water)
2 salmon filets (ours were 6oz each)

In a small bowl mix together sugar, olive oil, soy sauce, lemon juice and wine. In a shallow baking dish arrange salmon filets so they fit without overlapping. Pour the marinade over the filets and then flip to coat all sides. If you're using filets with the skin on, bake skin side down.

Bake about 20 minutes, depending on how big your filets are. Baste twice while baking. 


We ate this with cucumber salad, mango slices and coconut rice.

Cucumber Salad
1 large English cucumber, or regular cucumber partially skinned
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon sesame seeds

With a mandolin or with good knife skills, slice the cucumber very thinly. Mix together vinegar, sugar and oil and pour over the sliced cucumbers. Toss with sesame seeds. (English cucumbers have nice, tender skin and I do not peel them. Regular cucumbers have tougher skin and I peel strips off keeping about half the green skin on.)


This was a really easy weekday meal. The salmon was perfect - light, flavorful and a new option for us. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment