Sunday, January 20, 2013

Flavored Kale Chips


As you all know from the Facebook page, the Duncan household is taking part in the Daniel Fast.  At the beginning of every year, my husband and I get our eating habits back on track by taking part in what I like to call the “vegan +” fast.  You are only allowed whole foods: fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes, and whole grains.  It’s tough, but it helps me to get creative in the kitchen – making a lot of substitutions that I wouldn’t normally make.  I try to carry some of the principles throughout most of the year, but by the time the holidays roll around, I always manage to lose all self-control.



Kale chips are my new healthy snack.  They are crispy, salty, and are a healthy alternative to potato chips.  I know, I know…they’re not like potato chips but they really are good and they get so crispy they almost melt in your mouth.  For this post, I tried two different flavors.  One of the flavor ideas was the spiced kale, which came from my cousin.  She figured that if you’re going to be healthy, why not boost your metabolism as well?  So she recommended I combine three metabolism-boosting spices: cinnamon, cumin, and cayenne pepper.  The second flavor was garlic just because I can’t resist garlic-flavored anything.  My husband liked the spiced kale chips best and I liked the garlic.  Try any spice combination you want and be sure to let us know what your favorite is!


Flavored Kale Chips

Garlic:
1 bunch kale (~ ½ bag)
1 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp garlic salt


Spiced:
1 bunch kale (~ ½ bag)
1 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Pinch salt



Preheat oven to 300F.

If using fresh kale, wash and dry very thoroughly.  Cut out thick stems and ribs.  Chop kale into large pieces.  (If using bagged kale, skip this step.)

Place kale in a large plastic bowl.  Add olive oil.  Using your hands, rub oil into the kale to make sure all surfaces are evenly covered.  Add seasoning and repeat the rubbing process.

Garlic

Spiced


Tip: Rubbing the seasoning and the oil into the kale makes it stick and evenly coats the kale.  Be sure to watch salt quantities!  Use less than what you think you would need because the salt concentrates after the kale reduces in the oven.



Place the kale pieces in a single layer, on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  Bake at 300F for 20 minutes or until leaves just start to brown and are crispy.



No comments:

Post a Comment