Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Cookies


Happy 12-12-12!  Today, I’m sharing my pumpkin spice cookies recipe with you.  These were inspired out of just rummaging through my pantry.  I noticed I had two cans of pumpkin puree and I really had no idea what to do with them.  So, I got creative!  I had all of the ingredients for cookies but I hadn’t made pumpkin cookies before.  I wasn’t sure of the amount to use or what texture they would turn out to be.  And what do you do when you have no idea what to expect???  You WING IT!



I was blown away by how good these cookies were.  I honestly didn’t think they would be “blog-worthy”.  (By the way, that’s my new saying when I make good food lol).  I thought this would honestly be a failed experiment because getting the right cookie is really a science.  You have to ask do I use butter or shortening?  What about the flour to sugar ratio?  It’s really a lot to think about it.  Plus, pumpkin makes food softer than normal.  I have no idea why.  I know I’m typically full of scientific facts but I can’t answer this one!  The cookies turned out with a cake-like texture.  They were super light and super soft.  Unexpected, but delightfully delicious.

Pumpkin Spice Cookies

Ingredients:
½ c granulated sugar
½ c brown sugar
¼ c butter, softened
½ c canned pumpkin puree
1 large egg
½ tsp vanilla
1 ¼ c all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp pumpkin pie seasoning

For dusting:
2 tbsp granulated sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie seasoning



Heat oven to 350F.

Beat butter and sugars in large bowl, with an electric mixer at medium speed until fluffy.  Add pumpkin puree and mix until combined.  Beat in egg and vanilla until well blended.

Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie seasoning.  Gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture at low speed until well blended. 

Note: Don’t eat cookie dough!  Raw eggs may contain salmonella.  If you totally can’t resist, use pasteurized eggs.




Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.  Drop dough, one tablespoon at a time, onto the cookie sheet.  Flatten slightly.  Dust with sugar and spice mixture.

Bake 13-15 mins or until lightly pressing on cookies does not yield a dent.  Transfer parchment paper to wire rack and allow to cool. 


It was really interesting when I discovered that the second batch of cookies had a bit of a crispy bottom.  I realized that this was because I only used butter in the cookies.  I put the second batch on the hot pan that I had just pulled out of the oven and we loved that batch even more!  You may want to try preheating the pan with the oven for the first batch to see if you get the same result.  Let me know if it works!


No comments:

Post a Comment