Thursday, November 8, 2012

Rosemary Turkey Meatloaf


Ground turkey is something that I always have in stock.  I use it in place of ground beef for almost everything.  Actually, I don’t think I’ve used ground beef in about 3 years!  Turkey is healthier because it has less saturated fat and less fat overall.  The difference is that you have to season it better than you would beef because fat = flavor.  That is also the reason why I never use ground turkey breast.  It is too lean for me and tastes more like cardboard (but that’s just my opinion). 



This rosemary turkey meatloaf is the best I have ever had!  Since I discovered this, it has been my staple and I honestly can’t see myself finding one I like better.  The turkey is complimented by fresh rosemary and balsamic vinegar as the secret ingredient.  I think the balsamic helps the turkey to stay moist.  When you try this meatloaf, you won’t think you’re eating turkey because it is incredibly moist and flavorful.  I’m a ground turkey converter!  If you like beef, BEWARE!

Rosemary Turkey Meatloaf

Ingredients:
1 lb ground turkey
1c dry garlic & herb bread crumbs
¼ onion, chopped
1 egg, beaten
¼ c milk
¼ c balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 ½ tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
BBQ sauce of your choice




Preheat oven to 350F.  Lightly spray a 9x5” loaf pan with cooking spray.

In a large mixing bowl, mix together all ingredients except BBQ sauce.  Press into prepared pan.  Pour BBQ sauce over top so that meatloaf is just covered.  Bake for 50-55 minutes or until temperature reaches 160F.  Let stand for 5-7 minutes before slicing and serving.

Hint: Use a digital meat thermometer!  Works every time!  Also, it’s important with turkey because it dries out quickly.

















I served this with rice and sautéed cabbage with onions and sundried tomatoes.  It made for a perfect winter meal that was healthy and delicious.  

Meatloaf is one of the easiest dishes to make.  You throw all of the ingredients in a bowl and then use your hands to mix it all together.  Then, you just throw it in the pan.  It's perfect for a weeknight meal and also great to do with kids because they can help mix the ingredients and get their hands all messy.  They'll love it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment