Saturday, September 22, 2012

Asparagus with Balsamic Tomatoes and Onions


Balsamic vinegar tends to put the finishing touch on just about anything.  It’s a staple in my cabinet and I use it whenever I want to give something a little “zing”.  When I saw this recipe in Cooking Light, I knew that this was going to make an appearance in our kitchen. 



The original recipe called for just the asparagus and tomatoes but I added onions because (as you all know by now) I love them.  I can’t make a dish without onions.  When I went to the store and was shopping for ingredients for this dish, I saw yellow pearl onions and thought it would be the perfect accompaniment for the tomatoes.  Boy was I right…

Asparagus with Balsamic Tomatoes and Onions

Ingredients:
1 lb asparagus, trimmed
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 ½ c halved grape tomatoes
1c yellow pearl onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper, divided
3 tbsp crumbled goat cheese

 



Inspired by Cooking Light

Cook asparagus in boiling water 2 mins or until crisp-tender.  Drain.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add tomatoes and onions; cook 3 mins.  Add garlic and cook another 2 mins or until onions are cooked through.  Stir in vinegar; cook 3 mins.  Stir in salt and ¼ tsp pepper. 

Arrange asparagus on a platter; top with tomato mixture.   Sprinkle with cheese and remaining pepper.

Note: Cook the asparagus and sauté the vegetables simultaneously so the asparagus doesn’t get cold.

I served this side dish with baked chicken and honey-almond rice.  It made for a great meal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment