Thursday, August 9, 2012

Chicken Milanese


Italian food is my absolute favorite so you’ll find a lot of dishes in the blog that are my version of what I think Italian food should taste like :)  I’m sure Italians would curse me.  Chicken Milanese is one of my staple Italian weeknight dinners because it’s super quick and easy to make.


In our house, we tend to eat a lot of chicken, fish, and turkey because we try to limit excess fat.  (That is, of course, when I’m not eating a Peach Raspberry crisp…thanks Sarah!)  Since chicken breasts are ALWAYS around, they can get a little old sometimes…I seriously think I can make a chicken breast 100 different ways.  They tend to be my blank canvas.  To that, I like to add different types of breadcrumbs, or spices, or herbs, stuff them, or all of the above.  There are so many different options.  Today’s option: chicken cutlets with panko & Parmesan breading.

aka… Chicken Milanese

5-6 skinless, boneless thin-cut chicken breasts
1 tsp black pepper, divided
1 tsp salt, divided
½ c all-purpose flour
¾ c dry panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp Italian seasoning
¼ c grated Parmesan cheese
3 egg whites, lightly beaten
6 tbsp EVOO, divided

Season chicken with ½ tsp salt and pepper and set aside.

Place flour in a shallow dish.  Combine panko, remaining salt and pepper, Italian seasoning, and Parmesan in a shallow dish.  Place egg whites in a shallow dish.  Dredge chicken in flour; dip in egg whites.  Dredge in breadcrumb mixture.  Place chicken on a wire rack to allow the mixture to adhere.

Note: Grated Parmesan works best for this dish.  I’ve also used shredded, but it doesn’t adhere as well.





While the chicken is resting, heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add chicken and cook 3 mins on each side or until browned.  Allow chicken to rest a couple of minutes before serving.



If you look up other recipes for Chicken Milanese, you’ll see that many of them call for whole chicken breasts that you have to either butterfly, cut in half, etc.  Why not make it easy???  In most grocery stores nowadays, you’ll find chicken breasts already thinly sliced for you.  Pick up a pack or two and you can knock this out in 10 minutes :)

I served this with orzo and broccoli and it made for a great combination and a pretty plate!


No comments:

Post a Comment