Sunday, June 10, 2012

Whole Wheat Yogurt Pancakes... with Fruit

Makin' banana pancakes, pretend like it's the weekend now!

I pretty much can't make pancakes without singing Jack Johnson. It's a good thing I like Jack Johnson. And pancakes. And weekends. I like it all. Here are some half whole wheat flour, half all-purpose flour pancakes with a lot of yogurt folded in - some are made with blueberries, and some are made with bananas - it's all the same batter, just some berries folded into half of it, and bananas poked into the other half while the pancakes cooked on the griddle. 


Whole Wheat Yogurt Pancakes
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt

1 cup yogurt - I use Nancy's organic yogurt, a pretty thick plain yogurt. Greek yogurt also works
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup melted butter
3/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla

Add-Ins
1 cup blueberries - I use frozen wild berries. They are tiny and fold in really well. If you use frozen berries, your batter will be sort of cold. As I heat up the griddle, I keep it on rather low heat as I like to cook these a little lower and slower than the pancakes without berries.
Bananas - I don't fold these in, I put the batter on the griddle and pike several banana slices into the batter, then flip and cook the banana side. The bananas get all warm and gooey and awesome.


Combine dry ingredients in one bowl. Whisk together yogurt, sugar, butter, eggs, milk and vanilla. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Measure out half the batter and add blueberries. Cook pancakes on a hot griddle until little bubbles burst, flip and finish cooking. Transfer batches to a preheated oven to keep warm while you finish cooking the rest of the batter.

We like peanut butter on our banana pancakes. Peanut butter and maple syrup. Or honey. Or just maple syrup. Or cut up strawberries. Or nothing at all. Pancakes are good.



No comments:

Post a Comment